Monday, December 15, 2014

Buying Kpeting

I bought this Com-Pac 16 on December 5, 14.
She is in rough shape, but I will be working on her until she
is seaworthy and looking fresh.















I have been researching Com-Pac16s for a while and this little boat looked like a perfect project.
After just finishing a Pearson 26 rebuild and selling her (https://sites.google.com/site/sailapearson26/), I am ready for a new project.  But instead of moving up in size, I want to move down but up in complexity of the jobs I'll be doing.

The Com-Pac 16 is about the right size for me to feel comfortable taking it down to the hull and making modifications. A small project means that I can only make mistakes.

She is a sail-less, motor-less, and full of problems 1980 Com-Pac 16.
For better or for worst I payed $500 for the boat and the trailer.

I will make my list a projects public at some point, but for now here are some of the problems that jumped out at me when first looking at her.


Cabin needs to be rebuilt:




















The rudder is pitted and in need of some attention:















And of course I could find all the gelcoat crazing I wanted to.
















There are other problems, of course, and I know I will find more as soon as I start tearing into the project. She has been sitting at least 2 years, according to the old owner, and my guess is I can conservatively double that time to get an accurate picture of how long this boat has been neglected.

Time to breathe some life back in her.

No comments:

Post a Comment