Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Brightwork Beginnings

Crappy cold night and the boat is still in Rhode Island.
I took the rudder, spars, and a few other parts back home and decided
to start working on some of the brightwork and try cleaning up the rudder.

























The tiller was in rough shape after spending god
knows how many years outside exposed.


I ended up having to scrape and file
the millimeters of old oxidized varnish off... no good.









The hard work payed off and the tiller shined right up.

























While I cleaned up the tiller I soaked the rudder
in a weak acid to dissolve some of the old
salts off. After the salt was gone I was left with an
even more pitted looking rudder. This project is going to
have to take a backseat.

























(Rudder taking a bath.)

No comments:

Post a Comment