Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Bigger Projects Begin

I got the boat back to MA. I was happy and relived that the trailer made it.
It was stressful as the lights weren't working and the day was getting late.
I pulled the boat 2.5 hours from Rhode Island to Western MA.

The boat wasn't even sitting in the yard 10 minutes and I started tearing into the cabin.
I'm anxious to see the bones of this girl.

Right away I encountered wet wood everywhere. Naturally, I kept digging and digging hoping to
hit some dry material.

I started by ripping out the old soggy v-berth:




It took a while to cut out this piece as it was glassed in.
I ended up using a very sharp chisel to slice the glass tabbing.
And sadly I had to cut this piece in two to get it through the
companionway. This will make it a little tougher using it as a template.

The old foam was disgusting and a bear to get out. It was glued
down with some heavy stuff and the foam itself was super brittle.
I ended up slicing it into manageable pieces with a large paper cutting knife.
After it was cut I used a putty knife as a spatula to liberate the foam from the hull.

Next, was digging into the busted up keel material.
Bad news... After cutting out the fiberglass cover
I found a wet cement slurry.

I scraped what I could out with the claw of a hammer and sponged
the water out. I repeated this for 20 minutes before I realized I needed
a new POA.

The obvious truth was that the keel was FULL of water.
Drastic times, call for...



It's been four days since the drilling and water, albeit
one drip / 15 min, is still finding its way out of the keel.

No comments:

Post a Comment